Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Friday 4 November 2016

Nanowrimo again

No, I don't like it, I think it's a silly idea.  The whole idea of competitive writing, like competitive baking, is symbolic to me of what is wrong with British society!  The idea of 1.9 m people writing a half-formed novel is horrifying.   Of course they won't all finish, of course a few of them will be genuinely good, but those that are completed, how many will be sloshing about in the self-published doldrums.  So why would I possibly want to participate?

The answer is simple, I am very stuck with the new book, and the idea of writing 50,000 words in a month and getting critical mass was appealing... I thought that if I wrote the Bertha strand of the book as a stand alone story I might see where things were going.   It would also force me to write first and research afterwards.  Research is a problem - I wanted to see what happened technically, found a website and was reading about Bertha's children... mistake!  Anyway,  I started on Tuesday, and by yesterday I had 6,500 words, and was well-pleased, some interesting characters and a sex scene...

So it is working, and it's given me a deadline, and I do love a deadline!  Also, I want to get it finished before the 30th November - because there's a lot of Christmas stuff that has to happen just before Advent - not least writing the advent calendar for Facebook.

Now the great new project is starting up - and that's going to keep things interesting, I may even forget about the other lovely book, sitting with an agent.   Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment