Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Friday 15 March 2013

Finished - for the last time?

I have now finished a major re-write of TRF - it isn't as different as you might guess, even though I deleted 17,000 words, I seem to have added about 13,000 words.   It has taken quite a long time - and I am going to read it properly and then send it off....

Every time I do a re-write I feel that the newer sections are raw, not quite so well-written - but in this case I don't feel like that.  By the end I was writing pretty fluidly - it seemed to be arriving as requested, and I was able to kill assorted darlings.  I wish I had the feeling of tranquillity that I feel I "deserve" after the efforts of the last few weeks.  Actually, it's been a month, I think I started re-writing around about 10th February.  I have written nearly every weekday - not much at weekends.  As I write this I am beginning to feel a little bit excited again - I think it is better, but I am also disappointed that since JM's intervention what I have is a much more conventional romantic novel really - with a few more twists and turns in the plot.  I still like the early version in some ways.  But I really need to move on.  I am not sure how much more time and energy I can spend on this.  I need to start working on Vol 1 (after a few days off to do tax etc.etc.).  I feel that I have a stronger idea of what it needs now.

So what has happened to TRF?  Well - Lucy got a bit tough - but finally is won around - and Leo has an epiphany (as suggested by Tara) and thus is able to see his life and relationship with her in a new perspective and they unite in a positive manner, according to the best romantic feminist principles.

I fear a few babies may have got lost in the bathwater, and I will be just checking through the "dead darlings" document and seeing whether I have accidentally decapitated any really worthwhile trains of thought that I wanted to pursue.  It's not impossible - everything it seems - in the new version - has been scrutinised for its contribution to the "story" - well everything in the second half.  I fear there will be more changes and stuff... oh dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment