Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Monday 10 March 2014

Progress report

Well, yes, there haven't been many entries recently, mostly for personal reasons, but also because I've had a bit of a crisis of faith.

I had planned to start on the next episode of the Conscience saga, but a rather unhelpful comment from an agent, about being unable to sell anything connected with WW1 somewhat took the wind out of my sails, and I was forced to drift to a halt.  I was completely lost - what to do?  I was geared up to research the next book - only lacking the petrol money to take me to the right places.  Should I do it anyway?  I pondered, and, coupled with the depression that a really bad flu/virus/chest infection brings I rather began to despair.

Somewhere around this time two thoughts occurred: firstly I suddenly had two novel plots, one modern, one historical - neither connected with the toxic WW1.   I suggested them to the rejecting agent, and she told me which she thought was more commercial.   This idea is gradually taking shape - it is inspired by Judith Murray's suggestion that I read The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - which I predictably loathed.   However, I thought if my "good" novels were not getting far in the market, then I should try and write something unutterably middle-brow.  And possibly heart-warming.   I have the idea, but am just warming it up a bit, and hoping that a plot is maturing somewhere.

Competitions
In the meantime I have submitted TAG and TRF to two novel writing competitions, the Dundee International and the new Bath Literary Prize.  The latter only asked for 5,000 words, but I am obviously hoping they will come back for more and to that end I have been re-editing it - and have reduced it by about 6-7,000 words.... which is delightful.  I am astonished that there is so much superfluous bumf - in some cases I have been "showing AND telling" - I hope I'm not writing for the hard of thought.   They will organise a long list - I am praying to be on that at least - something to put in submission letters.

Success
What will I do when I actually get an agent, an editor, a publisher.... will I have to start a new blog full of success and vaunting?  

The Plan
If I get interest in TAG I will move onto Conscience, but in the meantime I am working on GATD and the plan is to write it in 3 months or so.  Mind you, the sight of the great flood yesterday made me think I should revive Islanders

No comments:

Post a Comment