Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Tuesday 5 April 2016

Same old same old.

Yes, that's a really enticing title for a blog post isn't it, chums?

The results of my last batch of submissions are as follows  Answer pending: 3,  Rapid rejection: 1.  and one silent rejection.   The RR was welcome, "not for me... wish you well"... in other words the "Other Agents may think Differently" letter.  I also received a rejection from a November 2015 submission - which said  "it just wasn't exactly what I was looking for" which gives the comforting (or distressing) impression that if I'd moved the plot a couple of inches to the left I might have hooked her.

It is important to remember that the agents who spend the most time on social media are not necessarily the Best Agents - just the ones who are perhaps more egotistical... of course that could make them great agents if they have taken your MS to heart.   They are however, likely to be the agents who respond most slowly. I do appreciate the quick rejection, almost as much as a request for a full read.   No hanging around hoping.

Yesterday I sent out another batch, two to US agents, one to a UK agent.  I think the 6 week period of grace required by Mulcahy is a bit unrealistic in this world.  They had two weeks of near solitary enjoyment of my presence in their slush pile - (the other agent I sent it to did the silent rejection on me.) so now they are in fierce competition to ignore it with another UK agent, and there will be more.

Weirdly I was encouraged by this You Tube video - Piers Blofeld (related to Henry?) is an agent who makes occasional videos about publishing and agenting matters.  I saw them all, and particularly enjoyed this one, since it is germane to my situation.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aduzco1VJZE   He goes through why he will reject a handful of MSS - and I realised why TRF probably didn't pass the "So what?" test with a lot of agents.  It's only a few minutes, but it's enlightening.

No comments:

Post a Comment