Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Friday 30 December 2011

Nulla dies sine linea

Balzac, I think, had this written in letters of gold around his study.  I don't know who said it originally - it sounds like Pliny the Younger or someone a bit dutiful like that.  It would be nice to say that this was my policy - but I would rather have two or three extensive writing sessions in a week, than write a line every day.  I suppose I could fiddle with something every day.  Also, I don't usually work on weekends.

But if 2012 is going to be the year when I finally tell myself "writing is my job, and I have to go to work every day", then I need to think how I am going to do it. 

I am not a big afficionado of housework, but I do have a large house and a small garden that require some attention.  I cannot rely on my husband to always clean the kitchen floor...I know how even a loathesome activity like housework can become a warmly embraced displacement activity.

I also feel, although I would love to give it up completely, that Ramsgate Arts is going to have to do with less of my time...If I could limit what I do to 3.5 hours a week I could say that, for example, Thursday afternoon would be Arts time.   I think perhaps, one hour of housework from 9-10 - followed by as much writing and associated activtiy as I can cram in every morning - then, if the mood is on me, more writing in the afternoons.  Paperwork etc. can be dealt with in the afternoons.  Cooking can mostly be done in the early morning/late afternoon...

I think that would work - having a structure is good.   I haven't included any time for exercise - the trouble is, I feel the morning is the best time for everything, and going swimming or for a walk is best done then, but actually, will need to be done in an afternoon instead. 

One thing that will prevent the rapid adoption of this timetable is the need to spend a lot of time sorting out the spare room for new student, coming in January.   A total re-decoration is necessary.  A lot of furniture will have to be moved, and I will be spending way too much time sanding things down.  Oh well, it will be great when it's finished. It will provide me with a potential income of 5,000 pa, so it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment