Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Sunday 1 January 2012

January 1st

The excuses begin, no, I am not beginning my new regime today, in fact not until 4th January, and only with limitations, since the first 3 weeks of the year have to be spent in a major house-clearing operation.  I feel that clearing the house and preparing for the new student/income stream are a major part of setting things right this year and the greater clarity and space that will be achieved will make a lot of difference to how I feel, and my ability to concentrate.

In the past I have felt guilty about writing, because I haven't declared it my major activity.  So I haven't made proper time for it, when I wrote the first draft of The Romantic Feminist I had to steal time, and people found it very difficult that I couldn't be interrupted or disturbed and that I growled at them if they ignored what I was doing.

What I am going to find difficult is writing in the bedroom.   Yes, it is the largest room in the house, and there's plenty of room for a desk etc. but I anticipate less of a sense of ownership - less of a right to write there.   Perhaps I should use the spare room when we don't have visitors/students/guests...I can just take the laptop in there - it's a good room to write in, a view of the garden, good light etc.

 But things will work out somehow.  It is really time to organise the house around what we are using it for, rather than some notional ideas.  If we are using it to make money, we need to get it organised.

No comments:

Post a Comment