Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Thursday 21 February 2013

Blogging for pleasure and profit

Well, One of the few topics (apparently) I do not spend much time soul-searching about is why I blog.  I know why, I was told to, I started it, and found it was a useful outlet for anything I wanted to mull over (not this blog of course - but the Quotidiana one).  But every now and again, I remember that a writer's blog is meant to be a fabulous outlet for one's writing and all sorts of things.

Today I came across an article called "Why do we blog" http://www.molly-greene.com/why-do-we-blog/ and I am putting the link here - because it is (a) the antithesis of why I blog, and (b) perhaps it is how I should be blogging.   (Note to self: make content more perky, relevant - less solipsistic).

Worst of all I see that I have chosen a style and layout that does not permit me to include lots of brightly coloured pictures of my book covers (to be announced).  I should be building up a mailing list apparently!  Oy-oy-oy!  Well, OK.  This is the way to go, since I am not that kind of writer, I think I can carry on regardless.  Should I find a publisher for those searing works of fiction The Romantic Feminist, the Conscience o Trilogy and Islanders (to say nothing of 17 Years) then it may be that a publisher will kindly offer the services of one of their underlings to assist me.

However, perhaps the final paragraph of the blog is the most helpful - the thing about confidence.  Curiously, despite my still mainly unpublished status, I do have a certain amount of confidence, but I suspect my natural modesty and experience of failure of one kind and another, prevent me from too much trumpeting... plus of course that crippling disease "being British" which makes one very unable to tell the world how fab one is in case one is accused of showing off.   But confidence must have an outlet, and mine comes through what could be interpreted as arrogance... but is actually a sort of sardonic/sarcastic humour which doesn't really look too much like showing off, but at the same time demonstrates a level of cleverness/superiority - hmmm.  I just hope it is leavened with some self-deprecating charm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment