Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Monday 1 July 2013

The State of Play

Discouragement is an ever present threat.  Currently, because other aspects of my life are "less than satisfactory" (short-listed for the Understatment of the Year prize 2013), I could feel discouraged about my writing.  I could feel discouraged that I have submitted The Romantic Feminist to 3 agencies, not one of which has acknowledged receipt - how do I even know it arrived?  I suppose I have to keep submitting.

On the domestic front the death of my father in law and the imminent full-on Ramsgate festival season means that I am unlikely to have time to write.  However, I am determined not to stop.  I want so much to just let it all rip... and get on with some fantastic new ideas, but I know the sensible thing is to keep working on Conscience and keep plugging on, keep submitting to agents.  Part of me thinks "drop" TRF - but it would be such a waste of time and energy.

E-publishing
I am still being prodded about self-publishing - and every now and again the temptation becomes stronger.   But I know I don't have the energy to see about marketing it.  However, my cousin Alaythea in SA has a small publishing company, and she does a lot of electronic publishing and might have some handy hints for the earnest self-publisher.  It's crazy, if I wanted to I could put it out next week - advertise it as the ideal beach read (debateable)... but,but,.but....

One thing that keeps me going is knowing it is not my writing that is the problem as such, the state of the market is so tricky, agents are losing power apparently, nobody really knows where things are going, that caution has become more and more the way of things.  The idea that a reasonably good, fairly commercial book is now a risky prospect is interesting.  It is too late to fill it with S&M - but it has some sex in it, and a middle-aged love affair (another vaguely hot topic).   Actually, there are no real "hot topics" any more.  Everything peaks over about 6-8 weeks and then everyone loses interest again - there's no point trying to get  more of "the next big thing" out in a hurry - since by the time the books are out, the NBT will be over.  So, what is the future for the dear little book?  Perhaps I should try and look at the agent matching service on the internet - bet they ask you to pay though!  Off to check out LitFactor.

No comments:

Post a Comment