Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Monday 7 October 2013

Finally...

After various delays and desperation - which is the nearest I will admit to "Writers' Block" I sat down 2 days ago and began to work on the sub-plot of the book which is currently living under the working title of Seduction - I have written about 2,000 words of new material and "I am well pleased".

It occurs to me that in Genesis when God had a look at his work and "saw that it was good" this is the story of everyone who creates something new - something different from their usual work - or just makes anything that is complete in any way, whether it's a crocheted mat or an advertising jingle.  We are so pleased to have a completed work.  Creating is what humans like to do - ergo of course God does it.  Of course God didn't have to submit his work to editors, proofreaders etc.  But perhaps that's what all geological changes and evolution are - the great refining process that has to go on in any new work.  Curiously, when I did the last (23rd?!!!) edit of TRF (during which I removed about 8,000 superflous words, mostly "quite" "somewhat" and "she wondered whether") I did not look at it and "see that it was good" - I looked at it and wondered "have I done enough? Will I ever have done enough?"    I have had so many ideas for ways of doing it differently that I am thinking of re-creating the whole thing and calling it "27 Endings" - and telling the second half entirely from His point of view.   Daring!... actually, it is going to be archived until I am famous enough for someone to take a risk on it.  I bloody well hope that writing is my real metier because I haven't got time to start a new one (except perhaps crocheting mats).

At the moment I am hoping to produce a roughish second draft of Seduction by the end of the month - and I can then submit that to the Dear Agent - who kindly said she'd like to read the whole thing when I'd finished it.   I am hoping it will be a case of 4th time lucky with her.  I am still not sure about the name:  Seduction, Frustration, A Man must Marry are 3 possibilities.  But none of these adequately describes the book - however, Deception might give the game away...but it seems possible.  Alternatively there are probably dozens of books called Deception... What's beneath... oh, I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment