Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Saturday 6 September 2014

September

It's the 6th today - I have not done anything on GATD yet... Tara said "oh, just a bit of touching it up" - I think it's going to need a bit more than that.  I will definitely start on Monday.  What I have done is 6 submissions to NY agents and - gaudete! - been asked for a full read by another agent - this is a happy moment, never had 2 agents on the case before, and Naomi R has suggested another, her cousin... Perhaps all I have to do is just a hell of a lot more submissions.  Of course, they may just rapidly find the defects and bounce it back.   Curious the way the two agents who have picked it up did so within a couple of hours of my querying them.  This new agent is a man, at a rather large agency, the name of which for the moment escapes me.  He comes from Iowa and looks a bit like Garrison Keillor (spelling?).

I am feeling a little bit bored - but I shouldn't really - there is a lot happening, and I am wondering how I will fit the writing and the increasing pace of political activity together. I think Stand up to Ukip is going to eat up a lot of time - I want to keep it under control.  I have learned to do this over the years, and I am congratulating myself for not having got involved in council matters and that I am managing to keep aloof from other campaigns.  SUTU will have an intense period of activity - but it will come to an end on 5th May next year (well, the intense phase will)..

I am hoping that writing and activisim will complement each other - the sociability and sense of purpose of the one, feeding into the isolation and the slight rootlessness of the other.   There is something very unanchored about this life when I'm not writing.  I could do anything - but I tend to just drift about doing very little.   It doesn't help that I'm not very well at the moment - I don't know what's wrong with me, but I'm having blood tests to check my platelets inter alia.  The rootlessness has exacerbated since it is clearly the case that I will not be going back to tutoring in the foreseeable - which is good in a way.  I loved doing it, but it did interfere with my writing, although it gave me some valuable insights into the marginalised....and some language hints.   Anyway, although the money would be nice, earning it on one day a week would be better than the way I was doing it.  So I will have plenty of time to write now - especially once Ned has gone back to UEA and Finn is settling down in school and M is actually doing some work - which involves going away! 

No comments:

Post a Comment