Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Thursday 20 August 2015

Ignoring Stephen King

A week or so ago I decided to ignore Stephen King's advice - no, not the bit about adverbs, she typed defiantly, but the bit about leaving your first draft for a month before looking at it.

I know it makes sense, and I intended to turn my energies to The Ash Grove but that was delayed for various reasons, and I'd had some feedback on The Malice of Fairies that I wanted to deal with.  So at the end of last week I plunged into the printed copy, going through it and making notes, trying to switch one or two scenes, and making notes on what I wanted to write.

As usual, I noticed a number of things: the sections I knew had been pure slog "I - am - writing this - be-cause- I -have - to..." scenes, generally needed more work than the "pure inspiration scenes" many of which came out perfectly formed and needing virtually no editing.   This was gratifying.    Slightly worryingly I felt the book fitted together, and though Anna said she didn't want to stop reading, I thought it both rounded the story since we saw how Deirdre had changed, and also left the possibility for a future book.

Today I wrote and edited and proof read all day and finished the second draft.  I am happy to change things, if necessary, and to take professional advice, but otherwise, it's largely agent ready. And I feel happy and successful, the repeat of the sensation I had when I completed the first draft, the feeling that this is good, and enjoying the idyll before I start submitting it, and getting back rejection letters!   I submitted it to a "new" agent yesterday, one I've never submitted to before.  Exciting!  But I should also submit to the rave rejectors of the past.   Once I have flung in a few submissions I can sit and cower with misery - or get on with The Ash Grove.  


No comments:

Post a Comment