Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Saturday 15 August 2015

Useful advice

I realise this sort of blog would be of great interest if one had an immense loyal readership, fans even, but I do not (yet?).   What most writing blogs do is provide useful advice about the writing industry,on this I have fallen down terribly.

I suppose I could offer writing advice a la Stephen King, but why should anyone take the advice of an unpublished novelist?  What do I know?  I have read some writing advice books, but ultimately it's "apply appallingly spreading bottom to a chair by a laptop and stay there until novel is complete.  If stuck, go for a walk.".

I couldn't tell anyone how to write - although I have a few useful tips about how not to write.   Then again, all these would simply be a reflection of my own literary taste.  Well organised self-promoting writers invite other writers to write guest blogs on how to write - and leave all the heavy lifting to them.

Most of the advice on other writing blogs is fairly repetitive - a regurgitation of creative writing classes I guess, but still useful to people like me who have have not actually "learned" how to create realistic characters, or to heighten a sense of tension/emotion/fear - but have been vaguely struggling in that direction through trial and turgid error.

I think that while this blog does not provide useful advice as such, it does show what an appallingly lengthy process it is to get oneself established as an author - and how lucky one has to be.  Writing well (see Dan Brown, passim., is a very small part of it).  There are ups and downs and near misses and rave rejections, and still one does not get published.  I think TMoF will - but I doubt if the known agents will necessarily snap it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment