Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Thursday 20 September 2012

Agent angst

I am having this.  She has had The Romantic Feminist for more than 10 months now.  She said she'd read it in August, she hasn't.  I was very fired up at the conference today to go and tell her to hurry up.  But then I foolishly (?) did the I Ching - and got that rather annoying one called The Marrying Maiden.  The interpretation read:

You are too junior, not yet ready to exert influence; there is no point in your setting intentions or making plans. All you can do is to feel your way, adapt, and find your place, without originating any action or having any agenda of your own.

So that told me.

‘With one eye, can see.
A hermit’s constancy bears fruit.’  
Perhaps it was venturing out of my hermitage today that did it for me!  The other changing line read:


‘Marrying maiden overruns the set time.
Delays and marries at the right time.’

The dear old I Ching is always warning me against harvesting too early etc. so perhaps this is all of a piece with this.

I guess I should just quietly progress with things until I hear - but suppose she forgets?  Actually, it doesn't matter, I am doing what I want to do.  The news from the conference today is not terribly encouraging, but I suppose I need to gain a bit of maturity about what will happen to my "writing career" next.   One has the fond fantasy that one will get an agent, and then the agent will find a publisher and the publisher will publish one's books.   Actually, it won't be like that at all.  Agents give up - publishers change their minds, there isn't a smooth, white-stoned path all the way to the bank and literary respectability.  Au contraire, cher maitre, au contraire.   I knew this of course, but it was slightly shocking to be so firmly reminded of it.

So, the agenda for the moment is Returning (the second hexagram)


‘Returning, creating success.
Going out, coming in, without anxiety.
Partners come, not a mistake.
Turning around and returning on your path.
The seventh day comes, you return.
Fruitful to have a direction to go.’


It would be nice if the agent got in touch next week - but, but, but...


No comments:

Post a Comment