Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Friday 16 May 2014

Claims Direct scam

This afternoon I was called by the usual sub-continental, saying he was calling from Claims Direct.  He was not brushed off easily and started telling me that there was money owing to us from our bank, which had overcharged us for services.   I began to believe him, since I think half our debt to them is a result of charges and the interest charged on their charges and so on - even without the PPI - which we never had because it's futile for the self-employed.

I told him I was uneasy, he was very persuasive - and said they were being supplied with information by local law firms.  Because they used the name Claims Direct I began to think that this was a reputable company which had outsourced its call centre to Bangalore... he began to ask me for details (M's first name) and asked me to confirm our address.  Then I realised he was working towards the "give us your bank details so we can send you the money" question.  He said "Wait, you can speak to my supervisor."
His supervisor "Kevin" had even worse English and an even thicker accent... I told him I would call Claims Direct in the UK and rang off.

While I was looking for the number "Kevin" rang back - "Why you put phone down Madam? We not finished..."  I said "I just want to verify what you are telling me."

When I googled Claims Direct I didn't see anything about a scam there - which is why I am posting this.   I called Claims Direct - they have a "no cold calls" policy - so it wasn't them, and this is a new scam.  I couldn't get their number by dialling 1471.  

Sad, I could have done with a couple of thousand.

No comments:

Post a Comment