Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Saturday 10 May 2014

Competitions

I am doing this now - entering competitions - I don't like it, and I was gutted when my beloved book was not even long-listed for the Bath Competition.   I tell myself that there is nothing different about a competition, as with submitting to an agent, it is just a matter of the reader's taste.

Today I submitted a 5,000 word entry to Nibfest - first prize: lunch with an agent I've just submitted TRF to.  Well, let's see. I submitted Islanders - I have about 12,000 words of this - because I felt it had the zippiness that they seem to want - the characters are, some of them, young.  I know that YA dystopia is an over-subscribed market - but it isn't going to be a YA novel - I don't think anyway.  We'll see.  I didn't want to submit GATD because I don't think the first 5,000 words, although engaging in some ways, don't quite get going in the same way.  I may be wrong, but if I'm right they will need an awful lot more work done on them  before they go anywhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment