Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Monday 11 June 2012

Author publishing

This is the new "respectable" title for self-publishing.  People are doing it more and more now - we had a talk on it a few months ago at a Society of Authors meeting.  I am not convinced by it, because I still feel a great deal of this writing "isn't very good".  There is plenty of stuff that is published that "isn't very good" but this suggests that the self-published stuff is probably worse.  The two people I know who are thinking about it are OK writers, but don't write the sort of stuff I'd like to read.

I remember years ago I got paid for editing someone's book: it was a novel based on the experiences of a jobbing actress.  It had a number of interesting anecdotes - but not enough, and the rest of it felt a bit thin.  You can disguise thin material if you write beautifully - but if you don't it's just thin, and people can see it. Had the author felt strongly enough about it, she would have self-published, nowadays she might well take the digital route.  The Guardian published a whole feature on this phenomenon last week.   Would I self-publish?  No, because I feel my writing is better than a lot of stuff that gets published, and ought to be published and will eventually be published.  Also, I want to write - not spend all my time marketing my books.

As a result of my months on the Authonomy website I have read an enormous amount of bad writing - it's not "bad writing" in the sense that it's appalling - it's just that it's not very good.  The people who would enjoy this sort of writing are probably not the book-buying public - hence the reason publishers don't publish it - since schools and libraries are unlikely to want to stock it either.  So I am pinning my faith on the usual process, and not punting on becoming a digital publishing millionaire.

No comments:

Post a Comment