Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Monday 4 June 2012

A different agent entirely!

A couple of years ago I met an agent at a party - she seemed quite interested in my book... but in the end, although I'd heard, through a 3rd party that she was going to take me on, she didn't.

I've seen her since, and felt a bit spikey towards her.  I saw her on Saturday night and was delighted to see her again, and very good to chat a bit professionally with her...as well as talking about other things.  I really like her - as my 3rd party friend said, she's a bit hard work at firsts, but now I felt really comfortable with her and was able to talk about where the book was at etc. from a position of strength.   She generously said The Agent was "a very good agent" - which is nice...but I knew that anyway.  She says there's no way of telling if she will take it on, it's "all about passion" - but not to worry, I can send it around again... Oh if only she knew what a tiresome thought that was.  But I am nearly there, I'm sure and even if the Agent does turn it down I will be able to cope somehow.

We talked about the defamation issue: she suggested I made Leo gay - a possibility!   Then I'd have him suing me not her! and I couldn't use the fertility sub-plot.  This is something I need to talk about with Agent... when and if.  Or to "Leo".  Maybe he should not be my cousin - son of old friends etc.  get rid of all the genetic stuff... or make the heroine less similar to me... the whole point is ridiculous.  Melissa is not in any way based on the person who is threatening to sue me.  I feel I should just argue that.  In fact the character is more like someone else I know - but don't want her suing me either.  Perhaps if I make her blonde and ravishingly beautiful... then she couldn't possibly relate it to herself.  I don't think I should make any major changes until I know whether it's been taken on.  But it was good talking to Jane - she's a good person to have on one's side.

No comments:

Post a Comment