Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Tuesday 3 July 2012

50 Shades of Grey

Can one have a view on a book one hasn't read?  Have the extracts I've seen and the commentary I've read give me enough info?  There was an interesting discussion about it this morning - on Woman's Hour.  The argument for was that the woman didn't comply with the man, she was actually a stronger character than him, and so on.  Against: would you want your teenage daughter to read this book - a woman abasing herself, everything we've fought against as feminists, "I didn't burn my bra for this!" (A joke I think).    I am pretty convinced that I am against it - and I won't read it, not even to inform my opinion on it.  

I knew that The Da Vinci Code was rubbish - but read it to understand what kind of rubbish.  It was a waste of time, that I could have spent reading something much better.  I know what sort of rubbish 50 Shades is - so I'm not bothering.  Why enrich this mindless ex-marketing woman who has written something so cynical?

But the trouble with these books is, when everyone is reading them, people talk about them a lot.  I have already got into some sticky topics from this book...and a lot of people feel they must read them because they aren't strong minded enough to see that they don't really matter, except perhaps to sociologists.

No comments:

Post a Comment