Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Friday 13 July 2012

All my friends are in my computer

This isn't true - but was the message of a recent cartoon someone posted on Facebook.  The social media give one the impression that friendships are live - and indeed the people one responds to certainly are.  But in the case of writing, it's rather more odd.   When one is writing something that is intensely peopled, then one's "friends" are in one's laptop.   When you finish something, the computer - and one's life seems empty.

What has happened is that the computer no longer contains the "love object" whether a real person, a fiction, a collection of characters, and I drift hopelessly from site to site, hoping for something to engage me, when what I ought to be doing is getting down to the real world - reading a book, doing some gardening, phoning a friend - or something.  At the moment, as I correct TRF I feel similarly at a loss when I'm not doing it.   I have definitely morphed into "a writer" in the last 6 months - and I'm not totally sure the results are entirely pleasing - perhaps I'll feel better when I get some financial results.

No comments:

Post a Comment