Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Sunday 21 April 2013

Agents... and superstitions

There are two versions of superstitions about "bad things" - the most common one is never to mention a bad thing, lest you bring it upon yourself by doing so.  I have always gone for the opposite version, which is Name Your Fear (or for younger readers, mention Lord Voldemort a lot!).  I feel that naming your fear takes a lot of the sting out of the bad thing happening, if it does.  You've already confronted it mentally so you are prepared up to a certain point.

On Friday, JM, the most esteemed agent and the one closest to my heart, had a look at the new synopsis and asked to see the whole book - again.  So crack open the fizz, let joy be unconfined etc.  but of course, there's a very real chance she will read it and turn it down again... my ever hopeful gut feeling is - this is it!  because I've always felt she was the agent for me... but I can't quite rejoice yet.  She promised to get back by 29th April so that I could submit to other agents - which is really nice of her.

If I wanted to act in a truly apotropaic way I would be drawing up a shortlist of other agents, and drafting a query email to be sent out on 29th-30th April.  But actually, I have a busy week ahead, and if I do anything I will be going back into Conscience Vol. 1 and turning it in to the Tolstoyan masterpiece it was always meant to be.   At the same time I will be bombarding the TLS with requests to inaugurate a list of the "Best New Writers over 50" which I will hope to be on as soon as TRF and Vol 1 are published...

I am not quite sure how I am going to get through this week - but I am insanely busy on the domestic front - so hope that this will distract me sufficiently.

No comments:

Post a Comment