Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Saturday 27 April 2013

Last week....


...I didn't write - I wanted to, but the things on my mind are not really bloggable... I was not writing the work either - because I am in waiting for the agent to give her verdict.

I just heard a book called "Idiopathy" reviewed on the radio - it sounded a bit underwhelming - with less of a McGuffin than "The Romantic Feminist" and the reviewers were not overwhelmed by it, nevertheless it has been put on Waterstone's list of 11 most promising debuts of the year.... so perhaps there's hope.  It's published by Fourth Estate - I just read the first 3 pages, it took an effort - too many clever, but not very interesting effects, I didn't yearn to know more...But I think if they can publish "Idiopathy" which apparently lacks "narrative drive" then they can publish TRF!  Early sections of Idiopathy appeared in Granta - so clearly Mr (?) Byers is in the the in crowd.    Maybe linking life with a cattle disease is the funniest and cleverest trope and so it will trump TRF's premise eventually.  I don't know, perhaps I've made TRF into a mish-mash and it's neither this nor that... I still think "contemporary woman's literary novel" is a good idea though.  And I think it fulfils it.

No comments:

Post a Comment