Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Thursday 11 April 2013

And this shall be the last time....

... she sang uncertainly, hitting the tambourine on the off-beat.  

I have sworn that this will be the last re-write I shall do of my own accord.  I sort of hoped to finish it this week - but I'm still about 80 pages off... and it's all rather hard... I hope the pace is OK - I'm not sure if I'm capable of assessing it... I've cut a lot, I've found repetitions and removed them, and it's about 5,000 words down - i.e. around 110,000 rather than 115,000 - so that's a good thing.  I've decided to send it to JM again, but to send it out to the masses...  

I honestly don't think there's much point in re-writing Conscience until I've cracked the story issue - as a result of what I now understand Conscience will probably become as long as Anna Karenina, and only slightly funnier.

When I start sending TRF off again, I will settle down to do a bit more research for C - and maybe look at Islanders again... I re-read it the other day, and I was amazed in that "did I really write that? How did I do that?" way one sometimes has when presented with the products of one's unconscious mind.  It works for me - but will it work for everyone else.... the grim experience of reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry has made me wonder whether I can ever manage to get the common touch...   Anyway, that's a problem for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment