Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Saturday 11 February 2012

Back at the coalface

After a couple of days doing other things - including editorial work on Claudius's Elephants (which is now reading really well and is stuffed with interesting anecdotes) - I have had another session on TRF - I managed 3,000 + words yesterday - partly re-cycled, partly new.  On page 129 now... over half way I think, although I suspect that this version is going to end up a bit longer than the original... am still feeling a bit sad about what's being discarded, but it is such a different book now. 

That's both a good thing and a bad thing.  I liked the old book - even though I think I knew in my heart of hearts that it wasn't quite strong enough to be a novel in its own right - and despite kind friends who "couldn't put it down".  I am sure the new version will be better and stronger - but I think my writing will be less alluring - it's a more "pragmatic" book than the old one - no more "velleities and carefully tuned regrets"... Heck I might stuff a few of those in anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment