Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Monday 5 March 2012

The big sex scene

It's the thing that I've been slightly dreading - but this morning I wrote it.  I warmed up by finishing inputting the hand-written notes from Norwich - another 1200 words, and then 2,000 words of deathless sexual encounter... Although it has been kindly commented by a friend that I write well about sex, that's usually been short scenes - 1500 words worth could be a bit much - don't want to feature in the "bad sex award".   Apparently many people haven't been writing sex scenes in literary/mainstream novels for years because of these wretched awards... the last sex scene I can remember reading was in Birdsong (underwhelming) - or a couple of gay scenes in Alan Hollingsworth or the famous Phillipa Gregory buggery scene - perhaps notable for being so unexpected.   Perhaps the bad sex award does not concern itself with gay sex, so it's more common in novels with gay characters/themes (there's some in Sarah Waters of course too).

Anyway, it's done - so it's downhill all the way now - although I am wondering what I can fit into the book...I can't help feeling that it isn't really fulfilling the tension between love and feminism - I think there needs to be a period towards the end where we debate love and feminism--- before the triumphant finale...

No comments:

Post a Comment