Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Tuesday 6 March 2012

The magic

On Sunday I was in a terrible state of gloom, despair, ennui, lassitude - full on depressive symptoms in short - it didn't help that it was raining heavily... we tried to go out, got half way there, then gave up.  So, we came home, had a row, and generally Sunday was write-off.

Yesterday I spent nearly all day writing and completed 3,000 new words including the dreaded sex scene.  I felt positive and cheerful and even phone conversations with creditors didn't shatter me.  At the end of the day I could watch tv with a cheerful heart.   This morning I awoke early and put my light on and read... today I have spent all day at the desk and have managed another 3,800 - which includes a re-cycled section. I may write a bit more later.  I am still feeling cheerful and practical and functioning well. 
#
There is a great magic in doing what one likes, when it also happens to be what one ought to do.  I think I was unhappy at the weekend because I was really frustrated at not being able to write.  I am hoping if I write solidly all week I may be able to enjoy next weekend.  Fortunately this week I have "no engagements" - so apart from a bit of shopping (which I could do on-line) I don't have to go out at all.   The other great joy is that when I am writing properly I am liberated to read more.  I often don't read because I feel I shouldn't - now I think I can, because I've put in the hours during the day.

My writing methods are erratic.   Usually I sit and listen to Radio 4 for a bit - then I turn it off and type furiously, for an hour or so.  Then I see I have mysteriously acquired 1,500 words or so - then I play Spider Solitaire for a bit - then type a bit more - have some tea, have lunch - listen to a radio play - type more - another chunk - then look at emails, FB, Twitter and this blog.  Then I make supper.  Sometimes I write after supper, usually I don't.  Unfortunately, I am probably killing myself by sitting down too long. Must try to walk about a bit - perhaps I could do some ironing between bursts of writing?  Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment