Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Tuesday 10 April 2012

Book of the Month

This month's reading group book was Marilynne Robinson's Gilead, which I am re-reading.  It is a wonderful book - and very funny in places.  I think I am enjoying it more second time around because I am not waiting for "something to happen" but enjoying the texture more.

I am also reading Bernal Diaz's The Conquest of New Spain a book I've had for ages, and was prompted to read by reading B Kingsolver's The Lacuna - it's interesting and readable translation (somewhat abridged to take care of his moaning about stuff).   Another book - the current handbag book - is Smollett's Journey through France and Italy which is amusing.  We were in Dover yesterday and found in the Museum a quote on Smollett's comments about Dover's innkeepers.  It's brisk, brusque and funny.  Because I am reading three books I am getting on very slowly.

My father has lent me a Christian/archaeology book - which claims to shed light on the old testament.  In particular the day Joshua asked the sun to stand still... 21st July 1400BC apparently.  I happen to have access to an ephemeris chart that goes back to that year... it's not shown.  The author, Victor Pearce, cites ancient authorities who record this event, but doesn't give notes as to where one could find this and how.  Time for a trip to Google I guess.

You may wonder what the Penguins are doing here: my policy of adding more pictures to my blogs is now in progress, and if I can't find a suitable picture (God stopping the sun? An 18thC Dover innkeeper) I will darn well include any picture I please: these are I think Macaroni penguins in Torquay.

No comments:

Post a Comment