Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Thursday 12 April 2012

Getting antsy

Yes, really feeling I can't wait to get on with the re-write now - very happy making feeling.   Had a long chat with Lorna today - a bit about the book - but just talking about family life, love, feminism etc. trying to answer some of the book's questions...wrote a few notes towards it while I was waiting.  Lorna encouraged me to keep the teenage stuff... people really relate to it... so one big teenage flashback - the whole thing? And then get dragged into the present - then have the revelation of the end of the relationship flashback a little later.   Then she gets the idea for the book?  Dunno.

Lorna was telling me about a friend of hers whose novel sales have really taken off since she worked harder on her plots.   It's all about plot... and a build up of suspense towards the end.... hence no doubt the popularity of detective fiction/thrillers... the fact I can live without them is neither here nor there.  Anyway, this writer's agent retired from agenting and wrote a detective novel and told her "It's all about plot".  I don't think I'd go that far for my own tastes - but if I want to sell - so maybe I need to tighten up things a bit, give more suspense in places.  More things to think about!

No comments:

Post a Comment