Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Thursday 5 April 2012

Writing anxiety

I didn't realise there was such a problem until I found something about it on Twitter - I realise I have been suffering from it, and that my frenzied writing a few weeks ago was the best way of dealing with it.  I also realise that I needed time off to get perspective... so I think that's beginning to work, I'm beginning to think about some of the things Leo and Lucy need to say to each other.  And write little bits, but I'm clearly going to have a longer holiday than I intended since Easter will get in the way... but perhaps in another week or so's time I'll be back on the coalface...I really want to go back now, because I'm so glad I'm thinking about things again, but I don't think more time off will help.

I heard Anne Enwright today talking about The Gathering - how she re-structured it and then threw half of it out, and eventually ended with a stump of what she'd originally thought of writing... Still, she got the Booker prize.  I don't think my offering is quite up to The Gathering.  But it does show how long it can take to get something really right.  

No comments:

Post a Comment