Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Sunday 29 January 2012

Book of the Month!

This month I have only managed to read one book - not a very auspicious start to 2012.   Last year I had read about 4 by now, which since I ended the year having read about 40 was about right.

I have become very aware that I am reading fewer, easier books - and to amend that I asked for some slightly tougher non-fiction  for Christmas - however, although I started Teofilo Ruiz's The Terror of History I haven't got very far with it - due to distractions, it certainly seemed very enjoyable... For various reasons I think I want to finally read Jared Diamond's Collapse next: I started it about 2.5 years ago, when it was recommended to me, but at the time found the subject matter, the decline of cultures/civilisations/communities, rather distressing.

The book I just finished is a worthwhile candidate - The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver.  It's an interesting book - set partly in Mexico and in the 1920s-50s with lots of good chewy issues: about being self-effacing, about how newspapers twist stories, how distortions come to be believed, how there are holes in things - which can conceal information... a very clever book really. Much more enjoyable than The Poisonwood Bible which I stopped reading because I found all the characters unsympathetic...

No comments:

Post a Comment