Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Tuesday 10 January 2012

Snip! Slash, tear!

Didn't work for so many hours on the text today - but realised with a shock how many of my wonderful observations about LOVE are going to have to be lost, because I am no longer writing a book about unrequited love/passion/obsession - but about a full-on love affair... so I hope I will have a great many new insights to replace them with!   On the other hand, it will make for a more dynamic readable book.... but I keep thinking "all this wonderful, cultural education materials is going to be lost...."

I have tried to cut some of the material out of the text I am gutting - but I still have 80,000 words -actually, I didn't cut much at the beginning - so perhaps there are only 60,000 - which gives me 40,000 to add new material - but I have a sneaking feeling that this will be a longer book.  I must work harder on condensing the adolescent experience.   Maybe I should actually re-write rather than re-use.... as Agent suggested.  It's easier in some ways.   But I need to send her the synopsis/outline tomorrow - and then when she's given her approval to get cracking with it.

It's exciting - but it's also annoying, because now, instead of being very free, enjoyable thing to do, it is now officially WORK... which means, alas, that I really am a writer now.   I suppose it's like the difference between love and marriage - dabbling and really doing it!   Must add that little appercu to the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment