Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Ballyalban Fairy Fort

Wednesday 4 January 2012

A development

The agent rang me today.  She likes the ideas, the writing, thinks it could have enormous potential - if I completely re-write it.  And turn the whole thing into a full-on adult love affair... well, dearie!

When I started writing the novel I had alternative versions in which there was a love affair - or a murder - and so on.  Should I go back to these, or do something new and strange?  Or turn the encounter at the wedding into something else... make the children older, to get them a bit more out of the way...if I re-wrote then I might get to re-do Phillip and a lot of other things which I've been meaning to do. 

Alternatively I could continue to put it about to other agents in the hope that someone else might take it.  I felt that Agent wanted me to write the great feminist romantic novel - to answer the question what does love mean to a feminist?  And that's a bloody difficult question, because perhaps I would have to side-step it and say - either that Lucy is overwhelmingly a romantic - or maybe that this love isn't any more than a sexual thing that got out of hand.

In one way I want to re-write, in another way, I feel unable to be sure that re-writing to one agent's preferences might be a problem.  I told her a bit about Conscience she didn't seem keen - but said "those are the circumstances - what's the story?"   I suppose I'm not used to thinking of things in that way - the story is the tension I suppose - the struggle - will he desert and divorce, will he "do the right thing" and stay with her, or will his own desire for a family life mean he has to leave the church... etc.  The emotions make the story in that sense, it's just that I don't think in quite those terms, but it will clearly be an improvement to my work if I do!

I am still thinking about what to do.   

This morning I dreamed I was going to S Africa for a fortnight in the October holiday - I was rather panicking about how it would work, but also thinking what a lot of people I could see.  It felt so incredibly real, that I still feel as though we are going to do this.   Perhaps we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment